Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Little Cultural/Language Mix-up

I had an appointment to see an orphanage after our 5K race on Saturday. I thought we would be done in plenty of time for me to go to a friend's house and change into "appointment clothes."(Egyptians dress up WAY more than we are accustomed to.) We got done much later than I had expected so I had to change in the back seat of another friend's car while Egyptian traffic wizzed by!:)


We arrived at the "orphanage" just in time, only to find out that it was a nursing home. The nursing home is for 16 elderly men that people found homeless on the streets. The people there were so sweet but it was NOT what we were expecting! I had been telling the kids all day that we were going to an orphanage and they were so excited. Needless to say, they were a little confused. We ended up staying for several hours to visit. I guess the most interesting part of the whole day was visiting with 2 Spanish speaking women that help with the nursing home. I didn't understand one word from them so an Egyptian man translated into Arabic for me! I have never been so relieved to hear Arabic!! Whoo! Hoo!!





No comments: